We are passionate about polyurethane (PU), it’s versatility and properties are incredible. Combined with our forty five years experience of working with polyurethane products, the global need to reduce waste, improve productivity, and increase profits it’s never been a better time for you to innovate your products to PU. So what makes PU so special?
Here’s a few key benefits of producing in PU:
- Improved product physical performance.
- Improved product longevity.
- Reduce end-use down-time and maintenance costs due to a more robust PU product and increased life-cycle.
- Using PU products means higher efficiency and reliability in your manufacturing process.
- PU is faster and more cost effective to prototype and our Tooling Experts can create bespoke solutions to suit your needs.
- Our Watts Innovation Scientists can produce material and component properties suite to your individual product requirements.
- An increased product life-cycle means less waste, lower environmental impact and improved company carbon footprint.
- Substantial long-term cost savings due to the unique durability of PU.
- Watts and PU results in a unique 360 degree, end-to-end, product development process, we don’t just make your products better, we make your business better.
What makes PU so special?
What is PU?
Polyurethanes are a general term used for a family of polymeric materials based on Isocyanate chemistry. All Urethanes are produced with a reaction between 3 components.
- A Polyol (PPG, PTMEG and Polyester)
- An Isocyanate (TDI, MDI, NDI)
- A Cross-linker / Chain Extender (Diamine, Diol, Triols)
In general the Polyol and Isocyanate parts are pre-blended liquids called Pre-polymers. These are then hand or machine blended with the cross-linker, poured into a mould and heat cured to produce the end product. There are many different families of polyurethanes; Castable Elastomers, Rigid and Flexible Foam, Adhesives, Sealants and Coatings.
Watts and PU
Watts specialise in manufacturing castable polyurethane products which are true engineering grade materials. We make castable polyurethanes that are also elastomers, the definition of which is a material that can be extended to at least twice its length and then return back to its original form.
Castable polyurethane offers the highest mechanical and chemical performance of all polyurethane types. This includes abrasive load carrying, impact and elastic application. The main characteristic of these polyurethanes are their extraordinary physical properties and the variety of strengths that are available between the different families of urethanes. Have a look at some of the advantages that PU has over other standard manufacturing materials:
|Urethane Vs Metal||Urethane Vs Rubber||Urethane Vs Plastic|
|Abrasion Resistance||Abrasion resistance||Impact resistance|
|Impact resistance||Higher Load Bearing||Elastic Memory|
|Easily Mouldable||Greater range of hardness’s||Thick section moulding|
|Noise reduction||Clarity and colourability||Resilience|
|Resilience||Cut and Tear resistance||Abrasion resistance|
|Corrosion resistance||More tailor able characteristics||Lower cost tooling|
|Non-conductive||Pourable||Low temperature resistance|
|Cheaper Fabrication||Cheaper tooling and prototyping||Cheaper tooling and prototyping|
Make an appointment to meet Richard Brooks, our Technical Director, for the full facts on how polyurethane produced by Watts can make a significant impact of your products, your business and bottom line.